Tuesday, October 23, 2018 – Wednesday, October 24, 2018 Chauncey Conference Center
1 Chauncey RoadPrinceton, New Jersey 08541 US Agenda
Tuesday, October 23, 2018
|12:00 p.m||Check in and Lunch|
|1:00 p.m.||Welcome and Meeting Overview
Michael Nettles, ETS & Hal Smith, National Urban League
|1:30 p.m.||Setting the Scene: Overview and Presentation of Topics
• Introduction to Funding: TITLE V AND TITLE III, PART F: A Retrospective and Projection on funding
Speakers: Antonio Flores, Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, David Wilson, Morgan State University• Leveraging Federal Financing for Access and Completion
Speaker: Barmak Nassirian, American Association of State Colleges and Universities• Leveraging Federal Financing to Institutions to Support Student Success
Speakers: Stephen Katsinas, University of Alabama, Lezli Baskerville, National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education (NAEFEO)• Preparing Teachers for Elementary and Secondary Education and 21st Century Classrooms
Speaker: Leslie Fenwick, Howard University• Meeting the Demand: Opportunities to Learn through Distance Education and Alternative Delivery
Speaker: Joseph Youngblood, Thomas Edison State University• Demonstrating Success: The Case for Collaboration and Partnerships
Speaker: Ronald Marlow, National Urban League
|3:15 p.m.||Breakout Sessions
Participants will break into groups to discuss one of the above topics with the goal of identifying opportunities to collaborate on a plan of action that considers:
• Where are the current partnerships / collaborations?
• Where are the current successes?
• What future successes would we like to see? How do we get there?
• What new or developing work would we like to see? How do we get there?
• What policies need to be put in place for future success? Consider federal, state and institutional factors.
• What are some opportunities for joint-funding / joint-research initiatives?
|4:30 p.m.||Groups Report Out and Discuss Findings|
|5:30 p.m.||Preview of Day 2 Discussion:
• What has been effective in communicating success to stakeholders and the public?
• Where are the communication gaps?
|6:30 p.m.||Getting to Know You Reception and Dinner|
Wednesday, October 24, 2018
|8:30 a.m.||Welcome and Reflections from Day 1
Robyn Ince, National Urban League
|9:00 a.m.||Panel: HBCUs: A History of Impact and Solutions for the Future
• Lezli Baskerville, NAEFEO
• Ivory Toldson, The Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) Network
• Harry Williams, The Thurgood Marshall College Fund
• Moderator: Kevin Rome, Fisk University
|11:00 a.m.||Breakout Session
• Opportunities for joint-funding / joint-research initiatives
• Collaborating on next steps
• Collaborating on communication points, broadcasting success
|12:00 p.m.||Lunch: Groups Report Out|
|1:30 p.m.||Closing Statements and Discussion
• Roslyn Artis, Benedict College
• Hal Smith, National Urban League
• Beverly Tatum, Spelman College