Thomas J. Vitolo, PhD Senior Assoicate
Synapse Energy Economics is a research and consulting firm specializing in energy, economic, and environmental topics. Since its inception in 1996, Synapse has grown to become a leader in providing rigorous analysis of the electric power and natural gas sectors for public interest and governmental clients.
Rigorous, transparent, and responsive. We do not work in silos; analyses are critiqued by experts across the firm to produce robust, highly defensible work products that benefit from multiple perspectives and many decades of experience in electric sector regulation. When you hire Synapse, you hire our whole team.
WHERE WE WORK
- U.S. states. In 2015, we worked in 31 states and Washington, D.C.
- RTOs and ISOs. In 2014 and 2015, we worked in ISO-NE, NYISO, MISO, PJM, ERCOT, and CAISO
- At the national level. For U.S. EPA, U.S. DOJ, and other clients
- Canada. For clients in Nova Scotia, Ontario, New Brunswick, and other provinces
- Internationally. For clients such as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Global Environment Facility, and the International Joint Commission
Staff & Expertise
Synapse’s staff of 30+ includes experts in energy and environmental economics, resource planning, electricity dispatch and economic modeling, all-sector emissions modeling, energy efficiency, renewable energy, transmission and distribution, rate design and cost allocation, risk management, cost-benefit analysis, environmental compliance, and both regulated and competitive electricity and natural gas markets.
Our senior-level staff members have decades of experience in the economics, regulation, and deregulation of the electricity and natural gas sectors, and have held positions as regulators, economists, and utility commission and ISO staff. Learn more about our staff.
Services provided by Synapse include:
- Economic and technical analyses
- Regulatory support
- Research and report writing
- Expert witness services
- Policy analysis and development
- Economic, multi-sector, and power system modeling
- Representation in voting and stakeholder committees
- Facilitation and trainings
- Development of analytical tools
Many of our clients seek out our experience and expertise to help them participate effectively in planning, regulatory, and litigated cases, and other forums for public involvement and decision making. Learn more about our capabilities.
Synapse’s clients include public utility commissions in U.S. states and Canada, offices of consumer advocates, attorneys general, environmental organizations, foundations, governmental associations, public interest groups, and federal clients such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Justice. Learn more about our clients.
CONTACT US Main: 617-661-3248